Daily thoughts from the Wright Home.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Grief

In my upstairs hallway there is a duffel bag. It’s a smallish duffel bag, well made, plum color with deep green accents. My parents gave it to me when I was a sophomore in high school. I’ve used it continually since then, it even went to the Philippines with me on my mission. You wouldn’t know it by looking at it that it’s nearly 15 years old, it is in very good condition. I guess that you might say I’m emotionally attached to this bag, as much as a person can be attached to a bag.

It comes into my view as I walk up my stairs to where our bedrooms are. Sometimes I avoid looking at it. Sometimes I stop and stare at it. Sometimes it grabs ahold my heart and squeezes it so terribly terribly hard. You see, that bag is packed for trip that it never took. It is filled with tiny pajamas, swaddling blankets, burp cloths and special glass bottles. I can’t see those little things, but I know they are there.

I can’t bring myself to unpack that bag or even move it. I haven’t opened it. I don’t want to touch it. My duffle bag has become a small, discrete coffin for the dreams of a child that will never come home. It is the only evidence of the heart break that we have suffered.

When will my very rational self take over, realize that a duffle bag does not belong in a hallway, that we will need to use that bag the next time we take a family trip? I don’t know. It feels like it never will. I wonder, will I just go buy another bag or will necessity force me toward the shaking and sobs and despair that my little coffin will unleash?

Really though, I’m not afraid of the tears. There have all ready been so many. I’m afraid of loosing the only thing I have left of him. A child that I lost, but who is not dead. A son who grew in my heart and then was ripped from it. A baby whom I will never raise, not here, not in the eternities.

And so, a smallish duffel bag remains sitting in my upstairs hallway.


(Please take this only as an expression of my personal loss, and do not derive from it any anger toward K.’s mother. K. is not my son, he is A.’s son, and he is not the child I grieve over. He is a miracle that we celebrate with her. He is the possibility and the child that she would have grieved had she been able complete the placement. We grieve the possibility and the child he could have been as part of our family, but isn’t.)

13 comments:

Megan said...

I am so sorry for your loss. How upsetting this must be. I understand how the bag can represent this loss, so give yourself time - don't force yourself to unpack it. You can wait until you're ready.

Phoebe said...

hmmmmm, I'm not the best at advice, but I believe baby Wright will be here sooner than you know, keep it packed.

The Yarn Queen said...

Take a day at a time let your heart heal and you will bloom again, stronger, more beautiful, more compassionate and able to love even more.

An Ordinary Mom said...

My heart aches with yours. Hopefully soon, though, in the Lord's due time, it will begin to heal and bloom again.

RORYJEAN said...

My heart breaks for you, but I second the comment about keeping it packed- I pray that your baby will be in your arms soon.

Wendy said...

I just came across your blog tonight. We had a failed adoption in June and we still have times...(tonight in fact) that it whips back up and takes my breath away. She is now 5 months old...and the bag is still packed, hidden away so that I don't have to look at it...with all her beautiful things. Praying that your baby makes it into your arms soon.

Dawn said...

I'm sorry for your pain. I wish I could say something insightful and meaningful that would lift it, but really, all I can say is I'm sorry you're having to experience it. I especially appreciated the comments in italics at the bottom.

Dawn Davenport
Creating a Family

Amanda said...

Know that you are loved. I am so sorry for your lose, my heart aches for you.

BonnieKaye said...

When my husband and I had to let our baby boy who was with us for a month go I was numb. I got super sick the next day. It wasn't until a few days later that I found my husband sitting by our little lake grieving (he was on a work trip when our boy left and never got to say goodbye) that I finally allowed myself also to grieve. We shed many tears that evening together. Though I still think of our boy often and get sentimental at times I think the time we took to grieve our loss was an important step to the healing that continues to take place.

I hope you know how much you are loved by your Heavenly Father and by many others. Please accept my deepest sympathies from one who has an idea about how you might be feeling.

LizzyP said...

I sense your grief is awful.

It's possible that I should be silent, but I have to weigh in with the "keep it packed" crowd--have faith in our prayers on your behalf. You know in your heart that another baby will be swaddled in those wraps.

Keiauni said...

Keep that bag ready...there are beautiful things in store for your future...absolutely!

I'm so sorry for what happened, but feel so much admiration and respect for the way you handled the situation, and how you helped a young mother get settled, and feel loved and supported.

Bless all of you. You are in our prayers.

Sindea Horste said...

You have such a beautiful way with words. I know you are working hard towards moving forward, and I admire you for that. I am always impressed by you and your family. Much love to you!

Alicia Jane said...

I just came across your blog tonight and this post definitely hit so close to home. We had a beautiful baby girl born on November 18th. We were there in the hospital, my husband and I gave her her first bath, we told our two little boys' that we were bringing their baby sister home and then on November 20th, Placement day, our birth mom decided not to place. It was truly devastating and we had to throw every little baby thing we had ready into the nursery and close the door. I am still in shock about it...it will be 3 weeks tomorrow...but your strength is inspiring to me and I know I will be able to continue on. Thank you for posting.